Sunday, January 24, 2010

Choosing A Legacy Deck

Oh Legacy, What a great format to turn to when standard is stale and you missed your extended PTQ. There is a big legacy tournament being held at my local hobby in the up coming weeks. So today I am going to discuss the decks I am choosing from.

Basically I have narrowed my choices to Threshold or CounterTop Progenitus. Here is the situation, I don't own any duals. so the zoo and burn match ups get that much harder. I am forced to use shocks instead.


Let's take a look at the Threshold and the CounterTop deck.


This is the Threshold deck that finished top eight in Dallas at the Star City Games 5k.


Threshold
Simon Sung
2010 Star City $5k Legacy Open - Dallas
Legacy

Main Deck:
2 Grim Lavamancer
4 Nimble Mongoose
4 Tarmogoyf

4 Brainstorm
4 Daze
4 Fire // Ice
4 Force of Will
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Ponder
4 Spell Snare
4 Stifle

1 Forest
1 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Tropical Island
4 Volcanic Island
4 Wasteland

Sideboard:
2 Krosan Grip
2 Pithing Needle
2 Price of Progress
1 Pyroblast
2 Red Elemental Blast
3 Submerge
3 Tormod's Crypt

compared to...


Counter Top
Matt Nass
2010 Star City $5k Legacy Open - Los Angeles
Legacy

Main Deck:
4 Noble Hierarch
1 Progenitus
2 Rhox War Monk
4 Tarmogoyf
2 Wall of Blossoms

4 Brainstorm
4 Counterbalance
4 Daze
4 Force of Will
3 Natural Order
4 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Swords to Plowshares

1 Dryad Arbor
2 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
1 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Savannah
4 Tropical Island
2 Tundra
4 Windswept Heath

Sideboard:
3 Engineered Explosives
1 Predict
4 Relic of Progenitus
2 Spell Pierce
1 Threads of Disloyalty
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Vendilion Clique



Threshold is more a traditional control deck that finishes games off with goyf whereas CounterTop just searches up Progenitus with natural order and wins. They are both very good and I like the Grim Lavamancers in the treshold deck. I guess only time will tell will tell... Be ready for a tournament report after the tournament.



I think I am going to be sleeving up Countertop but it is much harder to play.


Check out www.mtgfanatic.com!

Thanks for reading,
Phazr

No comments:

Post a Comment